The first question to answer is what is a natural remedy? Is Viagra a natural remedy? What about Cialis? How are natural remedies for erectile dysfunction distinguished from other treatments?
Natural remedies, which can be included under the umbrella of alternative medicine or referred to as herbal remedies, are generally prepared from plants for the improvement of health. Remedies come in many forms, including extracts, supplements, topical applications and teas. Usually, they are marketed for specific healing and health purposes including weight loss, anxiety, cleansing, or sexual performance. Unlike prescription medications that are regulated and go through the rigors of the scientific community, natural remedies are commonly available and have their efficacy based on long standing cultural traditions. In China, for example, herbal medicine is considered to be primary health care and its use has been documented for over 2,500 years.
What are the Natural Remedy Options?
Eight of the popular natural remedies for ED according to WebMD and repeated by the Mayo Clinic include the following:
- Arginine or L-arginine
- Pomegranate juice
- Horny Goat Weed
- Ginkgo biloba
Each one of these herbal ingredients or extracts, with the exception of acupuncture, are ingested orally and are known to have a range of effectiveness. For example, prior to Viagra, a derivative of Yohimbe was prescribed by doctors and horny goat weed was found by Italian researchers to have icariin which acts similarly to Viagra, according to WebMD. Others, such as DHEA, can have unwanted side effects, including suppression of pituitary function, and long-term safety is unknown.
Known Natural ED Remedies
Dr. Andrew Weil, a well known celebrity adviser of natural and alternative medicines (drweil.com), advocates two steps for natural treatment. The first is lifestyle changes, what he calls non-drug and cost-free solutions. These include:
- Stop smoking
- Checking your medications (if any) for side effects
- Limit alcohol consumption as alcohol has depressive effects
- Get some exercise – it improves blood flow, as a necessary ingredient for a healthy sex life.
- Stress – deal with it – get help for you anxiety or depression. Activities like yoga are a great form of treatment.
His second form of treatment is supplements or herbal remedies. These include:
- Ginkgo – increases blood flow.
- Yohimbe – It contains an alkaloid, yohimbine, a sexual booster.
- Ashwagandha – reputed to be a mild aphrodisiac and has been popular in India.
- Asian Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) – a common stimulant and sexual energizer.
As with any form of medical treatment, it is always best to seek the advice of a medical physician before taking herbal remedies.
What are the Side Effects of Natural Remedies for ED?
Natural remedies are not without side effects. However, the side effects are not as significant or dramatic as prescription Viagra or other ED medicines. The issues to watch out for from the Mayo Clinic include:
- If you take meds, check to make sure there are no known interactions – don’t take L-arginine with Viagra.
- Nausea, cramps and diarrhea
- Increased blood pressure, fast or irregular heartbeat, and anxiety
- Increased risk of bleeding
- Lower blood pressure
As compared to the side effects of prescription ED meds, the natural remedy health risks are much less significant. ED med risks may include:
- sudden vision loss or changes
- non irregular heartbeat
- penis erection that is painful or lasts 4 hours or longer
- swelling in your ankles, hands or feet
- fainting or feeling light-headed
- sudden hearing loss or ringing in your ears
- shortness of breath
- nausea, sweating, general ill feeling, chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder
What Are Zenerect’s Natural Ingredients?
Zenerect, a nonprescription method of male enhancement, uses a group of natural remedies that have been well recognized within the Asian and North American Indian cultures to help sexual stimulation. Zenerect creates its own mix of these ingredients to offer the best male enhancement supplement in the marketplace. In Zenerect, you will find these herbal remedies:
- Horny Goat Weed
- Bombyx Mori L Extract
- Korean Ginseng
- Wild Yam Extract
- White Willow Extract
- Jujube Extract
- Cayenne Extract
- Catuaba Bark
- Maca Root
- Saw Palmetto Berry
You can read more about each one of these natural remedies in the natural remedies forum.